Loons Fly Past Iguanas

Iguanas squander 2-goal lead in first loss of 2014

Updated Tuesday May 13, 2014 by Eric Thompson.

"You have to play a full 90 minutes in order to win a soccer game."

Sure, it's an old cliché, but Iguanas proved that clichés are often true. Iguanas played fairly well overall in their official home opener of the 2014 season, but a disastrous stretch doomed them against Minnesota Flying Loons.

The game opened with a lot of pace as both teams tried to strike first. Most of the action was in the middle of the field with the majority of attacks thrwarted by quick interceptions. Gradually, Iguanas started taking control of the possession and were rewarded about ten minutes before halftime.

After an Iguanas break up the right side had to be knocked out of bounds, defender Aaron Rosenthal took the throw-in standing even with the penalty area. He launched the throw all the way to the front of the net where Brian Pearson headed home his second goal of the season and first goal of the game. Iguanas continued to pressure for the remainder of the half but took their 1-0 lead to halftime.

The second half couldn't have started much better for Iguanas. After a few minutes of the back-and-forth that characterized much of the first half, midfielder Blake Heinz sent a long ball to forward Aidan Logstrom about 35 yards away from goal. Logstrom did the rest--he springted around the edge defender and snuck the ball inside the near post on the Flying Loons keeper to give Iguanas a 2-0 lead.

"A two-goal lead is the most dangerous lead in soccer."

Unfortuantely for Iguanas, they proved another old soccer cliché true. An awful stretch of about 15 minutes of play would prove to be fatal for Iguanas. The Flying Loons scored their first goal after a wild scramble in front of the Iguanas net. After what seemed like a dozen deflections and bounces inside the box, a Flying Loons player finally knocked the ball in to cut the lead in half. Less than 5 minutes later, the Flying Loons found an equalizer after a series of passes straight up the middle on the Iguanas defense. Iguanas were absolutely reeling at this point having squandered a two-goal lead so quickly, and Flying Loons took advantage of their opponents' lack of composure. They scored their third goal on a header from a free kick, and suddenly the Flying Loons had taken the lead.

Iguanas were able to regroup and put some pressure on the Flying Loons defense for the final 15 minutes of the game but couldn't find the equalizer. Flying Loons held on for a comeback 3-2 victory.

Iguanas will try to regroup next week as they face Vandals, one of their old rivals from previous seasons. Vandals were promoted from Division 3 after compiling a 10-3-2 record and are currently 1-0 in the new season.

This article has No Comments.
Be the first to add your comments!
Click the "Post a New Comment" button below.
firstname lastname commented Just Now

You must be a member of the League and logged in to post comments. Login here.