Back To The Draw-ing Board

Iguanas Tie Yet Again

Updated Tuesday July 2, 2013 by Eric Thompson.

Stop me if you've heard this one before--the Iguanas build a two-goal lead, yet somehow manage to end the game without a victory.

In what has become an incredibly frustrating trend, that scenario played out yet again for Iguanas against Barcelona.

The game had a tumultuous start even before the first ball was kicked. Iguanas and Barcelona were scheduled to face off at the National Sports Center in Blaine, but thanks to the NSC closing some fields the managers had to scramble to find a new venue.

Barcelona was able to find a field at Zane Sports Complex in Brooklyn Park, but the pitch left a lot to be desired. The hard ground and sparse grass made for a tough playing surface and the play reflected it in the first half. Both teams struggled to gain consistent possession as easy passes went begging for most of the first stanza. Neither squad had many goal scoring opportunities and the game went to halftime as a scoreless draw.

Iguanas manager Josh Hanson thought his team's offensive effort was a little lackluster in the first half, so he took matters into his own hands to start the second half. He moved himself up from center midfield to forward to "create more chaos", which paid dividends right away. Hanson stole an errant pass from the Barcelona defense about ten minutes into the first half and slotted it past the keeper to open the scoring.

The goal sparked Iguanas and they dominated play for the next 15 minutes. Their pressure and possession paid off when defender Sil Chiriac sent a long ball up the flank. Hanson made an excellent one-touch trap (no easy feat on this shoddy field) and fired in his second goal of the match.

But once again, Iguanas couldn't seem to play the full 90 minutes of consistent soccer necessary to come away with three points. Barcelona started controlling possession and creating chances as Iguanas seemed content to try and sit on their two-goal cushion. Barcelona's talented forward weaved through a series of half-hearted tackles and put a goal past Jason Radatz to slice the lead in half.

Barcelona found their equalizer with about ten minutes remaining in the game. The Iguanas defense allowed a Barcelona forward to receive a through ball in the box, turn, and poke a short-range shot into the goal without much pressure applied. Both teams scrambled to find a third, game-clinching goal to no avail and the game ended in a 2-2 draw.

Iguanas have now drawn in half of their eight games this season. They have given up a late lead in three of those four ties. Their position in the table is reflecting their penchant for leaving points on the field, which makes their upcoming game against ACME crucial. Iguanas are scheduled to face ACME for the first time on 6:30 PM on Monday, July 8 at SW Christian High School.

This article has No Comments.
Be the first to add your comments!
Click the "Post a New Comment" button below.
firstname lastname commented Just Now

You must be a member of the League and logged in to post comments. Login here.