Game Summary - Brit's Pub FC @ Iguanas FINAL

Monday, June 2, 2014 @ 9:00pm
Vadnais Heights Sports Complex, Main Field
1 2 F
Brit's Pub FC 1 0 1
Iguanas 3 3 6

Iguanas Bully Brit's In Blowout

Iguanas back to .500 after 6-1 win

Updated Tuesday June 3, 2014 by Eric Thompson.

Iguanas weren't shut out during the entire 2013 season. Coming off a narrow 1-0 loss to Vandals in their previous game, Iguanas made sure that getting shut out would not become a trend early in the 2014 season.

Brit's Pub FC visited Vadnais Sports Center to take on the host Iguanas after the Memorial Day break. The soccer played wasn't always pretty but it was often effective in Iguanas favor. The home team got the scoring started about ten minutes in from a free kick on the left side of the box. Josh Hanson fired in a shot that somehow avoided the crowd and Brit's Pub keeper in front of the net to give Iguanas a 1-0 lead.

The lead was short-lived as Brit's Pub FC found an equalizer only a handful of minutes later. A Brit's Pub attacker made a quick turn at the top of the box and slotted home an impressive shot past Iguanas keeper Zak Prauer to even the score at 1-1.

Iguanas were the younger and more athletic team on this night, but Brit's Pub FC definitely had more experience.

As in professional and international experience.

Former U.S. Men's National Team player Tony Sanneh was heading up the Brit's Pub defense but unfortunately was injured halfway through the first half during a scramble in front of the Iguanas net. With their key cog on defense missing, Brit's Pub reverted to a lot of "professional fouls" to deal with Iguanas' speed on the outside. Iguanas took advantage of a free kick resulting from one of those fouls about 30 minutes in. Eric Thompson sent the free kick down the right side to Brian Pearson, who made a quick run to the right end line and sent a perfect centering pass to Kevin Bonnema. Bonnema found the net with a one-time shot to give Iguanas the lead again.

This time, there would be no equalizer from Brit's Pub. Ten minutes before half, Pearson notched a goal of his own thanks to a clever through ball from Hanson. Brit's had a couple narrow misses before halftime but the score remained 3-1 in favor of Iguanas.

The last 45 minutes of the game were dominated by the home squad. Emmanuel Giddings, who had a penalty kick stopped in last week's loss, took over with a series of incredible runs through the Brit's Pub FC defense. Giddings didn't get a goal of his own but did most of the leg work required to set up both Aidan Logstrom and Levi Patton with easy tap-in breakaway goals.

Brit's Pub became increasingly frustrated and the game remained chippy throughout the second half. A handful of cards were shown including two red cards for dissent to Brit's Pub (one for a field player and one for Sanneh from the bench after his injury). Iguanas kept their cool for the most part and tacked on one last goal with about 5 minutes left in the game. Kerry Burns intercepted a pass just outside the Brit's Pub penalty area and sent a perfectly chipped volley over the head of the helpless Brit's Pub keeper. The final whistle blew soon after and Iguanas came away with a convincing 6-1 victory.

The win has Iguanas back to .500 after 4 games with a 2-2-0 record. They'll play their first game outside of Vadnais Sports Center next week as they take on Beer Engines FC at Thresher Field in Eagan. Last year Iguanas drew 2-2 and won 6-1 against Beer Engines.

This article has No Comments.
firstname lastname commented Just Now

You must be a member of the League and logged in to post comments. Login here.